Newcastle United and Inter target Edinson Cavani will not be taking a pay cut if he is to leave Paris Saint-Germain this summer.
The Uruguayan international reportedly wants maintain his whopping £170,000-per-week wages should he leave Parc des Princes, with his contract due to expire at the end of the month.
According to Le 10 Sport, Cavani – the club’s record goalscorer – is heading for the exit door in the French capital following the permanent signing of Mauro Icardi on Sunday
Cavani addressed his future in an interview with PSG’s official magazine via Goal and explained: “My career will last for maybe several years still, here or elsewhere, I don’t know, I’ve spoken about it a lot with my entourage. I’ve always said that I would like to quit football rather than football quitting me.”
Newcastle and Inter are both said to be chasing the striker with the Italian club making the first move. However, Inter are apparently struggling to finance the Uruguayan striker as he refuses to take a pay cut from his substantial wages at PSG.
Foot Mercato have previously reported that Newcastle have been chasing Cavani’s signature, but news of his pay-cut refusal will be certain to test the resolve of the north-east club’s prospective new owners.
Cavani has spent the last seven years in Paris after joining from Napoli and could be on his way back to Serie A if the Milan club can fund his demands. Cavani has been one of the best strikers in Europe for some time now, but at 33 years of age, his re-sale value would be very little.
Newcastle have struggled for goals this season though, with Steve Bruce highlighting that bringing in a proven goalscorer is one of his main priorities. The Magpies will have to weigh up the financial pros and cons of the huge wage that Cavani would demand.