After a run of three games without a win, it was reported that the former Napoli boss’ position was under threat but the Indonesian says the 52-year-old’s job is safe
Inter president Erick Thohir insists that he has the utmost confidence in coach Walter Mazzarri.
The Nerazzurri have gone three games without a win in Serie A, weakening their hold on fifth spot in the standings – and the place in the Europa League that comes with.
However, Thohir has dismissed suggestions that Mazzarri’s position is now in jeopardy.
“If I didn’t have confidence in him, I would have let him go a couple of months ago,” the Indonesian told the club’s official website.
It had been reported that Thohir had contacted Mazzarri to make it clear that he has to secure a return to European football for next season, but the Nerazzurri supremo insists that there was no ultimatum issued.
“Basically, I wanted to offer him my support, as I’ve said before,” the 43-year-old businessman explained.
“At the end of the season we will review the players and the coach together to build Inter’s future and that means preparing for next season, keeping in mind the World Cup and being ready for the [pre-season] tour to America.”
Inter will be hoping to get back to winning ways when they host relegation-threatened Bologna at the Giuseppe Meazza on Saturday.