Mancini: Icardi form does not worry me

The Nerazzurri coach is confident the Argentine will soon be back to his best, and stresses his side will do everything they can to win the Scudetto


Inter coach Roberto Mancini says he is not concerned about Mauro Icardi’s disappointing form in front of goal so far this season.

The Argentine attacker was Serie A’s joint top-scorer last term with 22 goals in 36 appearances, but he has not been able to reach the same devastating form this term, having found the net just four times in 2015-16.

Icardi cut a frustrated figure in Inter’s 2-1 defeat at the hands of Napoli on Monday as his side surrendered their place at the top of the table, but Mancini remains confident the 22-year-old will soon get back to his best.

“Icardi will score the goals we need, I’m not overly concerned about him,” Mancini said at a news conference.

“He didn’t get a lot of service against Napoli, we sat back a little but that was fair enough given the circumstances.

“Strikers need the team, just as the team needs its strikers.”

Inter sit second in the Serie A table with 30 points from 14 games, trailing Napoli by just one point.

Mancini claimed earlier this week they are not thinking about winning the Scudetto, insisting Champions League qualification is their main objective.

The Inter boss has now stressed they will do everything within their powers to win the title, even if he feels other teams have a better chance at this stage.

“We want to go for the title even though the other sides are better equipped to win it,” he said.

“Our main aim is to secure qualification for the Champions League.

“I’m pleased with everyone, we were top of the league up until Monday and that shows we’re working well.”

Inter resume Serie A action on Saturday when they host Genoa.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.