Indonesia 2012: with us, not just for football

JAKARTA – Nature, history, tradition; a country that truly knows everything
about Inter and one that, through the colours of blue and black, we now have
the opportunity to discover together.

With 17,508 islands (of which only 7,000 are inhabited), Indonesia is the
largest archipelagic state in the world with an area of 1,919,440 km², as
well as being considered a transcontinental country, belonging to both Asia and
Oceania. With at least 150 active volcanoes, owed to its location on the edge
of three tectonic faults, it is subject to phenomena such as volcanic eruptions
and earthquakes, the last one occurring just over a month ago.

With a population of almost 300 million inhabitants it is the fourth most
populous country on the planet and boasts the most populous Muslim majority,
89%, while the remaining 11% is divided among Hindu, Buddhist, Christian and
Animist communities.

Jakarta, where Inter will be staying, is the capital and the largest city; a
huge metropolis congested with traffic at all hours of the day. Located on the
northwest coast of the island of Java, in a large bay of the same name, it
covers an area of 661.52 km² and has a population of 9.6 million people.

Indonesia is a republic and since 2004 the president has been Susilo Bambang
Yudhoyono.

Under Dutch colonialism until the Second World War, Indonesia was invaded by
Japan during the conflict. Independence leader Soekarno headed a provisional
committee and later became the first president of the republic; it is to him
that the stadium hosting Inter’s matches is dedicated: the Gelora Bung Karno
Stadium.

The service sector provides the highest percentage of the country’s wealth,
followed by industry and agriculture, with the bulk of the country’s workforce
being employed in the latter. Indonesia has abundant natural resources such as
crude oil, gas, tin, copper and gold. The country also receives its share of
tourism, thanks to the more than 17,000 islands. However, 60% of the territory
is covered by tropical forest.

Rice is the staple food and is served with dishes of meat and vegetables. Other
key ingredients are spices, coconut milk, fish and chicken.

All of this and much more is about to unfold in front of the Nerazzurri, thanks
as well to the warmth of a nation of football fans, ready for a dream finally
come true: the arrival of Inter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.