Mazzarri blasts 'absurd' referee after Inter draw

The Nerazzurri boss was left dumbfounded by Daniele Doveri’s decisions concerning penalties and the late red card received by Nemanja Vidic


Inter coach Walter Mazzarri has accused referee Daniele Doveri of making “absurd” decisions during his side’s 0-0 draw away to Torino.

The visitors required a first-half penalty save from Samir Handanovic to keep them from falling to defeat in Turin, having not been beaten by their hosts since February 1994.

And Mazzarri is convinced that Doveri made the wrong call, leaping to the defence of his new centre-back Nemanja Vidic, who conceded the spot-kick and was sent off in the closing minutes for dissent in a forgettable Serie A debut.

He told Sky Sport Italia: “If you give the first penalty, then you have to give the one on [Inter's Mauro] Icardi too, which was more obviously a foul.

“In fact, the one on [Torino forward Fabio] Quagliarella was absolutely not a penalty, otherwise they’ll give dozens every game.

“As for the Vidic red card, the referee lost the plot. Vidic is used to playing in England, where if a fair foul is given, they applaud the referee and say ‘you got it right’.

“Here Doveri misunderstood the intention and thought it was malicious. It’s absurd.”

Mazzarri insisted there were plenty of positives to take from the game, hinting that Torino could be surprise packets in Serie A once again after finishing just three points behind Inter last season.

“It was a balanced and difficult game, which we knew it was going to be, as it’s never easy to play in Turin where they sit back and wait for you,” he said

“We tried to win right to the end, but didn’t take our chances. Overall we played well and it’ll be tough for everyone here.”

The former Napoli boss was particularly impressed by the performance of debutant Pablo Daniel Osvaldo, who put in a lively performance after coming off the bench in the second half.

Mazzarri said: “I had wanted to start Osvaldo, but he wasn’t in good shape and I asked if he could play 30 minutes. We really could’ve done with [Rodrigo] Palacio today, too.”

Torino 0-0 Inter: Vidic sees red as Mazzarri's men are held

The defender sarcastically applauded the referee in the dying minutes of the game, bringing his Serie A debut to an ignominious end


Inter were left frustrated in their opening game of the Serie A season as they were held to a 0-0 draw by Torino on Sunday, with Nemanja Vidic receiving a red card.

More to follow

Osvaldo: I'll be at Inter for a long time

The forward does not want to keep hopping from club to club and hopes he can repay the faith placed in him by coach Walter Mazzarri


Daniel Osvaldo has insisted he is set to stay at Inter for “a long time” despite his reputation as a journeyman striker.

The Nerazzurri are his 10th club in as many years – most recently he left Roma for Southampton last summer, where he failed to thrive and spent the second half the season on loan as a back-up striker with Scudetto winners Juventus.

But the 28-year-old, who left the Premier League for a permanent Serie A return this summer, is fed up of constantly swapping clubs and is hoping that he can call San Siro home for many years to come.

“I do want some stability. There’s no real reason why I kept changing clubs, but I don’t like looking back,” he told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

“I’m happy with my journey so far. They are all experiences. But now I want to stay at Inter for a long time.

“It’s said head coach Walter Mazzarri has wanted to sign me for years and starting at a new club with someone that strongly wanted you was hugely appealing.

“It’s motivating, as I have to prove he wasn’t wrong to put his faith in me. I like his attitude a lot.”

Osvaldo has developed a reputation as a bit of maverick in between hopping between clubs but, though he initially hated the “bad boy” tag, he finds it hilarious nowadays and has calmed down somewhat on the pitch.

“Let’s just say that two out of 10 punch up reports are true,” he added. “Then there were some fans who hated me and were looking for a scapegoat.

“This ‘bad boy’ label annoyed me at the start, but now I laugh about it. I am a perfectly normal person, but only one thing drives me crazy is injustice. I cannot stand it and, if I see injustice, I lose it.

“I always reacted to injustice and sometimes went too far, putting me in the wrong. I am learning to calm down now.

“It’s true that I tend to leave after a red card or a fight, because I no longer feel respect and that means I don’t feel like staying anymore.

“On the pitch you can say anything you want and I don’t care, but off it you’d best leave me alone. Off the field I am Daniel and anything that happens is my business, so don’t stick your nose in.”

De Rossi fires warning shot at Serie A rivals

The Roma vice-captain has vowed to be a constant thorn in reigning champions Juventus’ side this season as his team aim to go one better and take the scudetto


Roma vice-captain Daniele De Rossi has fired a warning shot at Serie A, insisting the capital club are out to annoy reigning champions Juventus and all their rivals in the race for this season’s scudetto.

The experienced midfielder helped Roma to a 2-0 win over Fiorentina on Saturday as Rudi Garcia’s side got their campaign off to a winning start after goals from Radja Nainggolan and Gervinho ensured maximum points for last season’s runners-up.

De Rossi feels his team-mates have the capability to prove a thorn in the side of Massimiliano Allegri and co – as Juve eye a fourth consecutive Scudetto.

“We intend to annoy Juventus, even though we know this is just the beginning,” he told Sky Sport Italia.

“Watch out also for Milan, Napoli, Inter, Lazio and Fiorentina as they’ll fight to the end too.”

Roma were made to work hard by former player Vincenzo Montella and his Fiorentina side – with Gervinho’s late goal settling any nerves at the Stadio Olimpico.

However, De Rossi was not concerned by their second-half lull, insisting Roma will improve.

“I think our drop in intensity towards the end was normal, considering it was the first official game of the season,” he added.

“Fiorentina are also one of the most attack-minded teams, so nobody will stop them having any chances.”

Torino-Inter Preview: Mazzarri's men look to hit the ground running

The Nerazzurri have not lost to the Granata since February 1994 and they will be confident of extending that run with a squad that has been significantly strengthened this summer

Inter will be aiming to extend an unbeaten streak spanning 20 years when they travel to Torino for their Serie A opener.

While the Nerazzurri only finished three points ahead of the Granata last season, the visitors boast a significant edge, having not lost to Sunday’s opponents in 20 matches.

Inter have won 14 games and drawn six during that period, with their last defeat to Torino coming in the form of a 2-0 loss in February 1994, and they will make the trip full of confidence following their 6-0 rout of Iceland’s Stjarnan in the Europa League play-offs on Thursday.

Croatia international Mateo Kovacic netted a hat-trick, while striker Mauro Icardi scored twice as Inter kept their fifth clean sheet heading into Sunday’s showdown.

Torino have been just as impressive defensively en route to qualifying for the Europa League group stages.

Thursday’s 1-0 win over Croatian side RNK Split capped a remarkable turnaround for Torino, who were promoted from Serie B in 2011-12.

Two years on and Torino are now expected to challenge for one of the European spots yet again this season.

The hosts will have their work cut out against Inter, having lost top goalscorer Ciro Immobile to Borussia Dortmund during the off-season, while Italy international Alessio Cerci has requested to leave.

Despite that, they have brought in players such as experienced striker Fabio Quagliarella and Antonio Nocerino.

Inter boast plenty of new faces, with the likes of former Manchester United captain Nemanja Vidic, Pablo Osvaldo, Gary Medel and Yann M’Vila now calling Milan home.

Follow us on:
Inter Milan newsInter Milan news